Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Greeting y'all,
I realize this blog is a bit delayed but I've been thinking allot about the proposed idea of Unity students building some more cottages and I thought I'd use this blog to reflect on that, as well as the presentation done by the student architect (name escapes me) who plans to help us with the design.
I really like the idea of Unity students building some new cottages. We need more school housing anyway and the only way the school can really make it happen in an acceptable time frame is by using student labor. Unity College is supposed to be all about field work ant that's a great thing since it seems to be the most effective, even if often time consuming, way of learning. Like the Chinese proverb goes-" I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand."
I also really appreciated the guest speaker, student architect, who came in to class and gave a really awesome presentation. I thought his use of visuals, particularly the preliminary computer design of the cottage itself, was a great way to keep us morning-dead college students attention. Which Mick reminds us, every now and then, isn't actually all that easy. I especially appreciated learning about concepts such as passive solar heating, which was illustrated in the computer design where the simulated light shifted inside the cabin as the months of the year past by, finally filling the entire college with light/solar heat during the chilly winter time. Learning about organic space made me interested in someday building my own home using this style of design. I've felt for a long time that the traditional "square" building style is optically boring and often not the most effective use of space. Organic space is all about a continuous/flowing feel with not trapped spaces and creating a sense of mystery that should pull you through the building, wondering whats around the bend. When done right this is a method to actually connect the person with the design. I knew nothing about Floyd Right before this class and the man is credited to coin organic architecture where the house actually becomes part of the building sight, with each building being as unique as its natural surrounding. I thought right away of Hobbit houses in the Shire. Course these aren't necessarily underground which gives the designer a great range of creativity withing the setting.
Overall I learned allot about an architecture style that I thought only existed in the fantasy world and was introduced to a very Unity fieldwork class idea that I completely support and would very much like to be a part of.

Keep it sustainable peeps...
-Nils B.

No comments: